Monday, July 30, 2012

Harry Potter and the Stubborn Skeptic.

I had no desire to read Harry Potter.  Ever.  When it first hit the scene, there was so much hype, and then the movies and the hype.  It all seemed a little crazy and frantic.  People camping over night in front of book stores to get the new installment.  The movies causing such a stir.  I mean, really?  A bit ridiculous, right?  All it is is a classic good versus evil children's story.  Right??

Now, here it is, 15 years after the first book was released, as well as all subsequent books and movies, that I decided it was time to find out what makes The Boy Who Lived so freaking special.  I have seen a couple of the movies already, and knew enough about the general plot (i.e. I knew Dumbledore was going to die at the hand of Snape) that I didn't really feel like much of it would come as a surprise.  At any rate, on June 6, I dove in.  Little did I know what I would discover....

Voldemort:  What I learned from You-Know-Who is that knowledge isn't everything.  I have a tendency to be a bit of a know it all.  I like to know everything about everything.  Knowledge is power, right?  But what you do with that knowledge makes a difference.  Tom Riddle sought immortality simply by learning more and more powerful magic.  But he tended to overlook the subtleties of such magic, and of course, love.  There is the obvious lesson we are to take from his death.  But I can't help thinking about his resentment toward his mother for dying.  I wonder if she had lived, if young Tom would have been different.  Perhaps his quest for immortality was in answer to his anger at her death. 

Loving the unlovable:  Hagrid and Luna were great examples of this.  Hagrid, with his penchant for dangerous creatures, and Luna talking about things that no one else believed in and being ridiculed for it.  Hagrid was able to tame and become friends with Aragog the spider (for which he was expelled from Hogwarts), Buckbeak the hippogriff.  He even tamed his giant half-brother, Grawp.  And who could forget his love for Norbert the dragon?  Where others cringed and were afraid, Hagrid saw a creature worthy of love and affection.  Luna was just a socially awkward witch.  Her dad was odd, so she was odd.  None of the others were thrilled about befriending her.  But when Harry saw her bedroom with the pictures of their group, with the word "friends" linking the pictures, my heart went out to Luna.  Surely she had spent her life being an outcast.  The simple fact that Harry and the others were simply polite and tolerated her at first led to a friendship that she cherished.  There's also Hermoine and S.P.E.W.  Yes, she was obnoxious about it, but think of Dobby and Winky.  She had a point.  Griphook the goblin was in awe of Harry rescuing a house elf and himself from Malfoy Manor.  He couldn't believe that Harry would dig a grave for Dobby.  Kreacher was singing about Harry being the friend of the house elves in the heat of battle.  Tonks loved Lupin despite his "condition."  There is something to love in everyone. 


Fred and George:  These two are incredible!  They didn't fit the mold, and certainly didn't take the path their mother wanted them to.  However, their brilliance was completely evident.  It reminds us that just because someone likes to have fun, doesn't mean they aren't to be taken seriously.  It also reminds us that just because someone doesn't follow the prescribed life that everyone else has led, doesn't mean that they are on the wrong path for themselves.  I still get teary-eyed over Fred.   

The Order of the Phoenix (the book):  Not gonna lie.  This book made me want to punch every single character in the throat at one point.  So, what did I learn?  Well, sometimes even very very bad people get away with being very very bad people.  And it makes me want to punch them in the throat.  But that's life. 

Neville:  Quite possibly my most favorite character in the series.  I can't quite explain my affection for Neville.  Maybe it's because he could have so easily been in Harry's place.  Thinking about his parents makes me so sad for him.  Thinking about his skill in Herbology makes me happy.  His toad, Trevor, always trying to get away from him is hilarious.  And not least of all, his bravery is astounding.  He turns into such a badass that he's hardly the kid from the first book.  He so stubbornly wants to fight, even if he's not the best wizard around, and it's so endearing.  He doesn't let any injury beset him.  And then through his bravery, the Sword of Gryffindor is bestowed upon him.  A true Gryffindor.The best moment ever is when he says his gran is proud of him.  I frequently said out loud, "Aw, Neville!" throughout the series.  He is gentle-hearted, well-meaning, and completely manly when he needs to be.  I think every man needs to be like Neville.


A mother's love:  Lily Potter.  Cissy Malfoy.  Molly Weasley.  Harry would be dead if it weren't for these three women.  In the end, Narcissa's motherly love for Draco causes her to forsake Voldemort and even lie about Harry being dead.  Molly is the epitome of a mother bear.  She was constantly vigilant over her family and Harry.  The most heartbreaking scene with her is when she is overcome by the bogart in the Order's headquarters.  And whatever you do, don't try to kill one of her children.  You will die.  I don't think I need to explain the significance of Lily's love for Harry.  If I do, then you weren't paying attention to the story at all. 

Ginny:  Ginny is an amazingly supportive woman who isn't going to put her life on hold for any man.  Even the Chosen One.  And in true Weasley fashion, she is brave and a tough fighter. 


Dudley:  You can grow up in a home where you witness cruel abuse and discrimination, and still turn out to be a decent human being.  Even if you didn't start out that way.  "I don't think you're a waste of space."  *tear!*


Sirius:  Sometimes life just kicks your behind.  But don't forget who you are.  Don't forget the true friendships and commitments to those friends which you have made.  If you get taken from this life in an untimely way, do so while fighting for the ones you love.


Friendship:  Ron and Hermoine are true friends to Harry.  They could have very easily said, "Oh the Dark Lord wants to kill you and everyone close to you?  Umm...I'm busy."  Especially as the situation grew more and more grim.  But they didn't.  Their loyalty to Harry in the face of the most terrible adversity is something rarely found here in the real world.  Yes, Ron left for a little while.  But he came back.  He realized the error of his ways, and the timing of his return was impeccable.  As Harry said, "Dumbledore must've known you'd want to come back."  Sometimes friends fight.  Sometimes things get hard in relationships.  Sometimes it seems easier to just walk away.  But a true friend is not just there for the good times.  You know the term "fair weather friends"?  Ron and Hermoine are not those kind of friends.  Harry needed his friends with him, much like Frodo needed Samwise (now I'm truly showing my inner geek).  If we are to face the darkest times in our lives, we need our friends with us.  They encourage us when we falter, they are strong when we are weak, and they will not let you go it alone.

The Weasley Family:  The Weasleys are a pure-blood family.  But they are willing to befriend muggle-borns, werewolves, half-giants, or whoever you may be.  They do not claim to be better than any other person.  So many times in our own world, people get caught up in their own self-righteousness.  People hold their religion up as a reason they are better than others.  People hold their race or socio-economic status up as a reason they are better than others.  People hold the fact that they've been discriminated against as a reason they are better than others.  Let's follow the Weasley's example and just accept everyone.  Let's be excited to learn from those who are different than us.


Harry:  Harry was not perfect.  He was actually a bit of a whiny brat at times.  But what I truly admired about him was that he wanted everyone to be safe and happy.  Voldemort knew that Harry had a thing for saving people and tried to use that knowledge to his advantage.  But in the end, Harry knew that to save his friends, he himself would have to die.  So he laid his own life at Voldemort's feet.  Completely and utterly selfless. 


Forgiveness:  Three words:  Albus Severus Potter.  You could've knocked me over with a feather when I read that.


Harry Potter has deeply affected me.  Those of you who read the books a long time ago are probably thinking, "Duhhhh!!!"  Truly, this blog only scratches the surface of the way the story has moved me.  I find myself thinking more fondly of my loved ones who have passed away.  I want to be sure that my friends and family know how much I love and appreciate them.  My inner former beauty queen wants to revive my "World Peace" tendencies in earnest.  This year has been one filled with many happy moments for myself and many of my friends and loved ones.  There have been new jobs, engagements, marriages, babies, college graduations, high school graduations (including a valedictorian), Miss Nevada, success in following dreams, homecoming from the Navy, new love, new friendships, and lots of laughter.  Truly, there has been a reason to smile every single day.  Reading Harry Potter at a time in my life like this has reinforced my desire to love others and to cherish the relationships I have.  I want to love so deeply that I'm able to come to the end of my life and say, "Always."




1 comment:

  1. Love this! I was a Harry Potter avoider too -- and now I feel just like you do: lots of great lessons to be learned. You are so intuitive -- love reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete