Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summer Just Wouldn't be Complete.

I'm the one person in my family that doesn't tan.  My little sister has this amazing olive skin, but I have pale skin that burns at the mention of being outdoors.  The irony lies in the fact that if I lived in ancient Greece, I would have worshiped Helios like he was a real god--and my favorite one at that.  Last summer I spent nearly every weekend by a pool, sunscreen within arm's reach, and managed to get a nice little summer glow.  This summer, it just hasn't worked out that way.  The poolside excursions with my friends and mimosas just haven't happened.  Everyone seems busier this year.  Or at least, our schedules haven't aligned.  Needless to say I was thrilled when my friend invited me to her pool today.  I brought the champagne and orange juice, and four of us hit the lounge chairs.  I sprayed myself down with sunscreen and enjoyed laying in the sunshine with my friends and my cocktail in hand.  I figured I might get a little pink since I haven't laid out in a while.  But let me tell you, friends, I severely underestimated the damage that would be done.  I guess I'll go back to the brand of sunscreen I used last year instead of trying to save a buck on a new brand.  Even my legs and the tops of my feet are burned.  Not so fun.  And you know how sunburns don't seem that bad at first and then a few hours go by and you realize that you could be mistaken for a lobster?  Yeah.


This was immediately after getting home.

This is after the burn got to fully develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment